Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘NAB’

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf will approach the superior courts if the National Accountability Bureau chief Admiral (retd) Fasih Bokhari persists in his refusal to reopen graft cases involving politicians before the general elections.

Bokhari had said on Saturday that no such cases could be reopened, since elections were around the corner.

“The NAB chief does not have any right to stop proceedings in any (political) case,” said PTI Chairman Imran Khan in a statement on Sunday, adding that his party reserves the right to go to the courts regarding the issue.

“A top accountability institution should initiate an impartial inquiry into all such political cases…it should not be held back by the possibility of general elections approaching or any other political concern,” emphasised PTI Secretary Information Shafqat Mehmood while talking to Media.

“Various options are open for us including the alternative to resort to the courts. We will take up this case if NAB relents,” he added.

According to a statement issued by the PTI chairman, NAB chief has made everything ‘clear’ by asserting that he had been asked specifically by President Asif Ali Zardari not to open cases involving the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leadership.

The government had earlier filed a reference against the Sharif brothers in a money laundering case, directing NAB authorities to formally initiate an inquiry into how around $32 million had been ‘siphoned off’ in PML-N’s second government during 1997-99.

The reference had been filed in NAB as well as the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) by the then interior minister Rehman Malik.

However, PAC had rejected the reference, on the basis that it did not fall under its ambit.

In his statement, Imran further stated that the people of Pakistan want a powerful accountability bureau, which can initiate political cases against any powerful politician.

“It seems as if the NAB chief has ‘promised’ to take it easy on Nawaz Sharif, while it is the nation’s wealth that has been plundered,” said Imran.

The top accountability forum’s duty is to aggressively pursue all such cases, he maintained.

“The argument that since elections are near, no further cases can be opened against politicians appears to be very ‘strange’,” the statement pointed out.

Rather, a thorough inquiry into all the graft cases becomes all the more necessary in an election year, it maintained.

On the other hand, PML-N leaders have maintained it throughout that the party is willing to face any case involving alleged corruption by its leaders, and that the NAB should go ahead with its probe.

“We have already rejected the allegations, terming these a pack of lies,” said PML-N Information Secretary Mushahidullah Khan, while talking to Media a few days ago.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Muhammad-Nawaz-Sharif_1100

ISLAMABAD – PML-N President Nawaz Sharif made financial gains of $418 million during his two stints as prime minister of the country, according to a book, Capitalism’s Achilles Heel, by Raymond W Baker.
The book by the American is a dossier on the corruption of most dominating political families in the history, including the Sharifs, and explains how they accumulated their properties, factories and enormous wealth. According to the book, at least $160 million were pocketed by Nawaz from a contract to build the Motorway from Lahore to Islamabad during his first stint as prime minister in 1990.
Baker states in his book that Nawaz made at least $140 million in unsecured loans from banks, more than $60 million from government rebates on sugar exported by mills controlled by him and his business associates, and at least $58 million from the import of wheat from the US and Canada. “In the wheat deal, Mr Sharif’s government paid prices far above the market value to a private company owned by a close associate of his in Washington,” the book states quoting records.
Falsely generated invoices for the wheat generated tens of millions of dollars in cash. The book review went on to state, “The extent and magnitude of this corruption is so staggering that it has put the very integrity of the country at stake.”

Read Full Post »

ISLAMABAD: The National Accountability Bureau Chief (NAB) Fasih Bukhari has said that due to corruption, the national treasury is facing a Rs6 billion to Rs8 billion loss per day.

The NAB chairman said that the bureau’s job was to recover the ‘stolen’ money, not prosecute. He however added that if anyone was found guilty, they would be prosecuted.

“Till now, NAB has recovered Rs235 billion for the treasury but this is not enough,” said Bukhari, adding that the government has given approval for recruiting 300 new investigators.

Ongoing corruption cases

Referring to the rental power project case, National Accounability Bureau Chief Fasih Bukhari enquired whether the Federal Investigation Authority (FIA) had placed Prime Minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf’s name on the Exit Control List (ECL) as yet.

The chairman also said that the Ashraf was interrogated for 3 hours before he was made the prime minister.

Bukhari told the media that a joint investigation team (JIT) including the FIA, NAB and police among others had been formed for investigating the Arsalan Iftikhar case and will be headed by the NAB director general (DG) Financial Crime Investigation Cell, as per the order of the Supreme Court and the Attorney General’s letter.

Speaking on the issue of conducting an unbiased investigation, the NAB chief said, “It doesn’t matter if we know Malik Riaz or Nawaz Sharif, the investigation will be unbiased.” He also added that he had never taken any money from Malik Riaz.

Referring to Arsalan Ifitikhar’s  letter which he sent through his lawyer, the NAB chief said it was insolent through. “The letter is threatening, it uses threatening language, said Bukhari, adding that a notice will be taken in this regard.

Bukhari said that although the Sharif brothers’ case could yield just Rs3 billion and the Swiss letter case, Rs6 billion but the case of former Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA) chairman Tauqeer Sadiq could restore Rs55 billion to the treasury. He told the media that a warrant was to be issued for Tauqeer Sadiq’s arrest.

Read Full Post »

ISLAMABAD, June 28: The National Accountability Bureau has asked the interior ministry to place the names of all accused in the rental power projects case on the Exit Control List, but the ministry is reported to be hesitating to do so because Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf is one of the accused.

“We have written a letter to the interior ministry to put the names of all accused in the case on the ECL,” NAB spokesman Zafar Iqbal said. He did not say whether the letter was written before Mr Ashraf had taken oath or after that.

“We cannot comment on the date the letter was written,” he said.

In line with a directive given by the Supreme Court in April, NAB forwarded the names of a number of influential people, including federal ministers, secretaries and owners of RPPs, to the interior ministry for placing them on the ECL.

Included among them are: former federal ministers for water and power Raja Pervez Ashraf, Liaquat Ali Khan Jatoi and Tariq Hameed, former finance minister Shaukat Tarin, former secretaries of water and power Shahid Rafi, Muhammad Ismail Qureshi and Ishfaq Mehmood, former finance secretary Salman Siddique, former chairmen of the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra) Khalid Saeed and Lt-Gen (retd) Saeed Uz Zafar, Genco chief executive officer Yousaf Ali, former managing directors of the Private Power Infrastructure Board (PPIB) Khalid Irfan Rahman, Fayyaz Elahi and Yousaf Memon, former managing directors of the Pakistan Electric Power Company (Pepco) Tahir Basharat Cheema and Munawar Baseer Ahmad and Pepco chief executive officers Muhammad Arif Saleem, Fazal Ahmad Khan and Chaudhry Muhammad Anwar.

Twelve RPPs whose property has been seized are: Techno-E Power (on Summandri Road, Faisalabad), Young Generation (Satiana Road, Faisalabad), Techno-E Power (Sahuwal, Sialkot), Pakistan Power Resources (Guddu district, Kashmore), Karkay Karodeniz (a Turkish ship anchored in Karachi), Gulf Rental (Aimanabad, Gujranwala), Reshma Power (Raiwind Road, Lahore), Walters Power International Naudero-I (Larkana), Walters Power International Naudero-II (Larkana), M/s Alstome (Bhakki district, Sheikhupura), M/s General Electric Power (Sharqpur district, Sheikhupura) and Pakistan Power Resources (Piranghaib, Multan).

When the interior ministry did not put these names on the ECL the bureau sent a reminder.

Before assuming charge of the prime minister, Raja Pervez had recorded his statement with NAB.

“We can again call Mr Ashraf if our investigators required his another statement,” head of NAB’s media wing Dr Ayesha Siddiqa said.

She said Mr Ashraf was still an accused and NAB would continue its investigation into the case without any pressure.

In April, the apex court had rescinded the RPP contracts and ordered NAB chairman Admiral (retd) Fasih Bokhari to proceed with corruption references against those who were at the helm of affairs when the deals were signed between 2006 and 2008.

The NAB has served notices on the owners and chief executives of all RPPs to pay Rs22 billion they had received from the government as mobilisation advance for setting up power projects.

Mr Ashraf had welcomed the Supreme Court decision in a TV programme, but said the contracts with the RPPs had been signed during the Musharraf government in 2006. The agreements signed in 2008 had been approved by the federal cabinet, he said.

Read Full Post »

WASHINGTON: Pakistan, a country is run by a civilian elite that steals all it can and pay almost no taxes, has been ranked 13th in the latest ranking of failed states.

The unique ranking compiled by the prestigious Foreign Policy magazine is topped by African countries Somalia (114.9 points), Congo (111.2), Sudan (109.4), Chad (107.6) and Zimbabwe (106.3).

Afghanistan with 106 points is ranked at number 6, followed by Haiti, Yemen, Iraq and Central African Republic.

Pakistan with 101.6 points, the magazine said, is ranked 13, a slight improvement from the previous two years. In 2011 it was ranked 12th in the list of failed states, while in 2010 and 2009 it was ranked 10th.

“The country is run by civilian elite that steals all it can and pays almost no taxes,” Robert D Kaplan, the chief geopolitical analyst at Stratfor, wrote for the Foreign Policy.

The absence of the state makes for 20-hour daily electricity blackouts and an almost nonexistent education system in many areas,” he wrote.

Explaining the reasons for Pakistan being in the list of a failed state, Kaplan said the root cause of these manifold failures, in many minds, is the very artificiality of Pakistan itself: a cartographic puzzle piece sandwiched between India and Central Asia that splits apart what the British Empire ruled as one indivisible subcontinent.

Read Full Post »

According to Lt. Col. (retired) M Tariq Kamal, former director engineering DHA Islamabad,

( 0300-8542971 –  Res: 051-5152157), resident of 10-C, Tariq Lane, Tulsa Raod, Lalazar, Rawalpindi, Defence Housing Authority Islamabad (DHAI) and Bahria Town have deprived 150,000  people of their hard-earned Rs 62 billion.

All the concerned authorities have decided to ignore this blatant breach of public trust, he said.

Colonel says that DHAI has been receiving money in the name of allotment of plots in DHA Phase I Extension, DHA Phase II Extension and DHA Valley since a decade but what masses get in return is assurances and hollow promises.

Those who deposited money for plots considering it purely DHAI projects were deliberately kept in dark about the agreements between that DHAI and Bahria Town regarding land development.

Similarly, few would know that following the controversial agreements, DHAI silently transferred all the funds raised from public amounting to Rs 62 billion to the account of Bahria Town CEO Malik Riaz.

Those who got cheated include 110,000 civilians, 41,000 serving and retired military officers, jawans and families of martyrs.  Total land in question is 165,000 kanals.

Elaborating, he said that few years back DHAI and Bahria Town chief Malik Riaz inked controversial agreements according to which the later was entrusted to develop all the 175,000 kanal land owned by DHAI. Malik Riaz started development activity on 10,000 kanals. As the development process kicked off, the DHAI bosses transferred Rs 62 billion into the account of Malik Riaz without any guarantee and against the advice of DHAI legal advisors Ahmer Bilal Soofi & Co.

Those DHAI employees who objected to the illegal steps were sacked immediately.

After some time, Mr. Riaz stopped development process and started using the money of DHAI members to fulfil his personal ambitions. According to the agreements DHAI is unable to take any decision or action while Mr. Riaz continues to delay development leaving millions of people worried and insecure.

Col. (R) Tariq said that reasons for the unusual favour are still not known but it merits an investigation to ascertain as to why top officials misused authority and compromised DHAI reputation to benefit a property tycoon widely known for land grabbing.

Similarly, the applicants were deliberately kept unaware about the partnership of DHAI with Malik Riaz in the business otherwise the response of masses could have been different.

He said that Mr Riaz is not honouring agreements thus damaging GHAI reputation and causing a huge financial loss.

According to Clause 23 of Ordinance No LIII, 2009, all the serving or retired army officers serving in DHA would be considered public servants (civilians).

However, the Central and Provincial Governments, NAB, FIA and police etc. would not take any concrete action against all those who have violated all laws and procedures to deprive 150,000 families of their homes.

Read Full Post »

SC directed NAB to commence investigation in the NBP fraud case.

LAHORE: The National Accountability Bureau (NAB), under the directives of the Supreme Court of Pakistan, has started an inquiry into the Rs2 billion National Bank Employees’ Welfare Fund scam between 2003-08.

A statement issued by NAB on Monday read that the case involves senior officials of the NBP who had allegedly misused their authority to embezzle millions of rupees. The top management at NBP had distributed the workers welfare fund among themselves under the pretext of cash achievement awards.

According to an initial investigation in the matter, it was discovered that millions of rupees were divided among top officials between 2003-08. NAB has submitted its initial report to the SC.

The court had earlier directed NAB to look into the scam and to take steps as prescribed under NAO 1999 to recover the embezzled money. The case is already under process in the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA).

The NAB investigation team has asked NBP to provide details regarding the case while the bank’s management is yet to respond to NAB’s query.

Canal Motors case

Meanwhile in another case, a NAB Special Operation Wing investigation team has proceeded to Lahore to speed up investigations in the Canal Motors’ case where the accused had allegedly cheated the public out of Rs1 billion under the false pretext of investing the sum.

Canal Motors’ owners had collected millions of rupees from as many as 200 people in the name of importing of vehicles. NAB has already arrested three persons related to the case including the main accused owner Rana Qaisar Nazir. They are currently in judicial custody.

The NAB investigation team was in Lahore to verify the claims of the affected, in order to conclude investigations.

Course: The Express Tribune Pakistan

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »

%d bloggers like this: